Results for Development (R4D) is a leading nonprofit global development partner. We work with changemakers around the world – government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators – to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to achieve it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytical rigor, hands-on support for decision-making and implementation, and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and produce lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve development results too.
We have a unique and dynamic culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity – of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds – is essential to who we are and what we do. We are looking for people who embrace these values and will help to reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate on the basis of trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other to continuously build better R4D.
The Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator focuses on building the capacity of countries to lead health systems to change in a sustainable and institutionalized way while helping them to address specific systemic issues that impede progress towards improvement. health outcomes. In addition to R4D, the Accelerator consortium includes the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF), ICF, and a growing number of local and regional organizations. More information about the accelerator can be found at: https://www.acceleratehss.org/.R4D is seeking a Senior Program Officer with expertise in information and data systems management to provide strategic and technical leadership to a growing portfolio of work supporting the management of information technology and data at the within the Accelerator program. COVID-19 has highlighted the importance of IT and strategic data generation, governance and management for decision-making and action at all levels of care to build responsive and resilient health systems to ensure access to quality/universal health care at all levels. The Senior Program Officer will work closely and support the accelerator’s portfolio of activities related to IT systems, data systems governance, data integration and interoperability in the areas of country health, including an initial focus on Ghana.
The successful candidate will have strong leadership, program management and stakeholder management skills, as well as a technical background in health systems strengthening and data systems for health. He/she must also be highly motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, process facilitation and collaboration skills; work harmoniously within teams; and have a commitment to excellence and delivering results.
The position is based in Washington, DC, with expected international travel approximately 8-10 weeks per year, and reports to the Senior Program Manager.
The Senior Program Officer will be called upon to support:
- Development of Health Information Systems Strategic Plans (HISSPs) for the health sector, including policies and guidelines for data sharing, access and ownership by partners.
- Integration and interoperability of all systems in the national database of countries
- Development of a national map of health facilities and health care providers
- Development of a main health sector dashboard
- Provide technical and operational support to select activities under the HSS Accelerator
- Proactively identify and work with Accelerator teams to resolve programmatic and technical issues related to IT and data management.
- Apply knowledge of the major principles of informatics and information science to enable effective research, surveillance, response, routine health sector data collection and evaluation in public health that will support the best decision making for partners
- Work closely with partners to support the Ministry of Health (MoH) to strengthen the cross-sectoral and multi-stakeholder process to harmonize governance structures and possibly system-level integration of health databases in countries
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders to discuss, develop and review proposals and documentation on research, health data systems governance assessment and integration plans
- Support the design of national health information system strategic plans.
- Advise and develop solutions that serve countries’ efforts to improve their data and technology infrastructure.
- Review procedures and provide necessary advice on data organization, including assisting in the creation of databases, developing data entry procedures and preparing preliminary documentation.
- Provide strategic, technical and operational support for the execution of IT systems and data integration and generation activities.
- Review health sector data and eHealth strategies and make recommendations for improvement and further progress
Build data systems and analyze data
- Provide in-depth statistical analysis to support data outcome measurements and projections by generating reports, graphs and narrative assessments
- Create visualizations to showcase relevant accelerator program work graphically and visually appealing
- Contribute to the collection of quantitative and qualitative data and apply quantitative and qualitative methods and techniques to manage, analyze and present research data
- Translate complex data analysis concepts and requirements into clear, digestible and usable information
- Extract, clean, manipulate, organize and analyze data using Excel and other platforms
- Manage relationships and communications with key internal and external partners, related to IT and data management
- Represent the HSS Accelerator at national and global health policy forums as a designated Senior Program Director.
Team building and teamwork
- Participate in and, as needed, lead team building, strategy development, and other Accelerator activities that advance R4D’s overall mission.
- Work closely with the Accelerator team to support Ministry of Health (MoH) partners to initiate a cross-sectoral and multi-stakeholder process to harmonize governance structures and possibly systems-level integration of databases public and private health sectors
- Lead the development of key knowledge materials, including analytical and communication materials (e.g. technical tools, workshop reports, operational guidelines, etc.) in collaboration with other team members.
- Review and provide constructive feedback on work products developed by other team members and consultants in selected activities.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team members to improve their performance.
Program management and coordination
- Write, compile and edit assigned portions of project reports.
- Attend and participate in regular check-ins and meetings with the Accelerator team, funders and external stakeholders.
- Support dialogue and correspondence with government stakeholders and donors as needed.
- Monitor the progress of accelerator activities related to IT systems and data integration and generation, highlighting potential risks or malfunctions and acting proactively to resolve issues.
- Work closely with the Accelerator Program Director to plan, coordinate and execute virtual and in-person meetings, including reviewing and approving meeting agendas and ensuring staff availability.
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting and participating in projects, activities and initiatives as requested by management
- More than 7 years of relevant professional experience on issues related to information technology and data analysis in strengthening health systems at national and international levels.
- Masters or PhD in a relevant field (public health, health economics, public or social policy, public administration, business, management or similar).
- Proven experience in conceptualizing, planning and implementing projects or programs. Experience managing grants funded by USAID or other donors is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate successful working relationships with funding agencies, government health agencies, and other key health stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to set up and manage team dynamics, teamwork, an inclusive and productive work environment.
- Experience in providing process facilitation support on issues related to health systems strengthening – i.e. supporting a country-led process that enjoys broad stakeholder buy-in, develops the capacity of national partners and leads to contextually appropriate and technically valid solutions.
- Ability to understand and describe complex health systems issues.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism and reliability. Ability to prioritize and manage work in a rapidly changing environment and to respond to national partners and donors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to: effectively facilitate high-level meetings; prepare clear and concise emails, presentations and reports.
- High level skill and knowledge of DHIS2
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
How to register
Please click here to apply.